"We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light." Plato
|Entry Requirements: Grade 6 in GCSE PRE|
The course is heavily focussed around the completion of three two- hour examinations. Each exam paper requires candidates to complete three essay questions over the course of the two hours.
- Paper 1: The Philosophy of Religion
- Why is there evil and suffering in the world: arguments for and against the existence of God. Is multiculturalism a good thing? Can belief in God be explained through psychology? What is the ‘soul’?
- Paper 2: Ethics
- Can bad people commit good actions? Should we only consider the outcomes of our actions, not the actions themselves? Is it ever right to kill? Is there such a thing as an ethical business? What are the ethics of sex and relationships?
- Paper 3: Development in Christian Thought
- Who are the key thinkers in the development of early Christianity? If you don’t have access to the Bible, can you still go to heaven? What is feminist theology? Is the Christian church outdated and sexist? Is life after death just a metaphor? Was Jesus a political figure, teacher of wisdom or the son of God?
PRE is a subject specifically for those of you who have always yearned to understand the world in a deeper way, for those of you who must always ask ‘why?’. PRE is a challenging course but the content involved will ensure you start to perceive the world around you in a new way. You will learn how to write very well-structured essays and arguments – a skill that will prove invaluable as an academic tool. In addition, through discussion and debate on complex issues, your mind will become like a razor. You will already know if you are a philosopher because you have asked ‘why?’ all your life. If you would like to extend yourself and discover some of the great minds of Western thought, consider PRE and see what answers – or questions – await you!